The task assigned to Nagra by the Swiss waste producers is to prepare and implement solutions for waste management and disposal that ensure the long-term safety of man and the environment.
This includes in particular
- Preparing inventories of all radioactive wastes arising in Switzerland from the nuclear power plants and from the use of radioactive materials in medicine, industry and research
- Planning deep geological repositories for all categories of waste
- Carrying out geological investigations
- Demonstrating the safety of potential sites for geological repositories
- Providing open and transparent information to the public
- Promoting international collaboration in key areas of research